Sunday, March 25, 2012

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies


Hi there!

It has been too long. My fault.

I went to Tennessee and dug some stuff up. I made pasta (more on this later) and marshmallows. I made another quilt (I know I am obsessed, pictures coming soon). I drank some drinks with my dear friends as they celebrated their birthdays. My car had expensive surgery. I might have cried (about my car's health problems). It has sort of been a momentous couple of weeks.

Pasta!
This is a funfetti birthday cake I made from scratch, cause I am way too cool for cake mix (apparently).
I made this bag as a birthday present for a special someone. It reminds me of sunshine.
In a month I am going to visit my love. As part of my vacation, we are going to go on a week long meta-vacation to Belgium. My plans involve beer, frites, waffles, and sprouts (in my head, Brussels sprouts are just sprouts when you are actually in Brussels). I am sure we will do other things. Mostly it is a chance to relax with my love. It has been over a year since we got to take a real vacation together and, even then, I am not sure two nights in an inn after our wedding counts as a vacation.

If anyone has Belgium suggestions please help!


Max's idea of having his picture taken is attacking the camera strap (this is a photo shoot "out take").

I also made cookies. I am not sure how to describe these cookies. They taste like chocolate chip cookies, but they have this vague coconut flavor that is just enough to make the you look at them twice. They are chewy and chocolatey and everything a chocolate chip cookie should be plus some.

They are comforting and exotic all in one bite.

Coconut Oil!

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies


2 1/4 cups (300 g) All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon (6 g) Baking Soda
1 teaspoon (6 g) Salt
3/4 cup (150 g) Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup (142 g) Brown Sugar
1 cup (227 g) Coconut Oil (melted and slightly cooled)
2 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon (57 g) Vanilla Extract
2 cups Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Unsweetened Dried Coconut Flakes

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.

3. In another bowl, whisk together the sugars, coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla.

4. Add the sugars (wet bowl) to the flour. Then add the coconut flakes and the chocolate chips, stir until just combined. The batter should not be smooth.

Cookie dough. Why do you taste so good?
5. Scoop out golf ball sized balls (maybe slightly smaller) onto a parchment (or sil-pat) lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes, rotating the tray once at 6 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes and the move them to a rack to cook completely.


Ready to bake.
Cookies!

Time to eat. End of story.

2 comments:

  1. A meta-vacation...great term!
    Coconut oil is the best thing to happen to chocolate chip cookies since chocolate chips, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I have basically started adding coconut products to anything I can these days. So good!

      Delete