Sunday, January 2, 2011

Breakfast Philosophy

Every weekend Derek and I make breakfast, usually this involves eggs, toast, and bacon. When we are feeling really special we make breakfast burritos with tater tots and green chiles.

I believe that there is such a thing as the ideal breakfast, this may sound really glib. But every Saturday we try to achieve perfection. It all starts with bacon, homemade, salty pork belly.

The bacon has to cook on low heat for about 5 to 8 minutes. You can't rush good bacon. While the bacon is cooking we brew the coffee. I could talk a long time about coffee, but I here I will just say it should be strong, freshly roasted, and tasty. While the coffee is brewing and the bacon is going we slice the bread and toast it. We are super nerds and pretty much only eat homemade bread. Bread must be covered with real butter.


After the bacon is done we start the eggs. Derek and I prefer our eggs fried in some of the remaining bacon fat, with the white cooked and the yolks still runny. Then the runny yolks make a kind of sauce. Each slice of toast has an egg on top of it, with the bacon on the side. This should be served with hot sauce to top.

After this we sit down, drink our coffee. We read the paper and decide how we are going to spend the day. It is sort of meditative, relaxing. I enjoy our routine. I enjoy our food nerdy homemade breakfast. Sometime soon, I am going to talk about bread. How's that for a teaser?


No comments:

Post a Comment