I am not the cool kid.
I mean I had friends and everything, I do not deserve your pity.
I was in band, I had really good grades, my backpacking buddy was my dad, and I worked for the science department (for three years!). No one hated me (they really liked me when they needed help with their science homework).
I am trying to say, I was not mocked. I just did not get invited to the cool kid parties (you know the ones with the booze).
That did not matter at all, because I had a great group of girlfriends and did not need to be cool to have fun. I did not miss it at all. I did not even really know we were not cool.
I am saying this because my bestest high school friend came to spend Thanksgiving with me. She is amazing and beautiful. Spending the weekend with her was good for my soul.
I made this tart for her. It has bourbon in it (for the win). You should make it for your loved ones for this holiday season.
Bourbon Pecan Tart
from Bon Appetit
1 12-inch round tart crust (I am going to just link to this amazing tart crust recipe that you should use for every sweet tart, this women is amazing)
3 large eggs
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups pecan halves or pieces (I prefer halves)
1. Follow the directions on the tart crust recipe to completely bake the tart recipe. The crust should be golden brown.
2. Place pan with crust on rimmed baking sheet. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a medium bowl. Beat in the corn syrup. Add butter, bourbon, vanilla, and salt. Beat until these ingredients are blended. Stir in the pecans (do not use the blender for this).
4. Pour the pecan filling into the crust. Bake about 25 minutes or until the filling is set (I find this takes a bit longer for me). Cool tart on a wire rack for one hour, then remove pan sides.
5. Eat warm or at room temperature. This gets stale (soggy) if you make it too far ahead. I would not let it sit for more than 8 hours.