Sunday, February 21, 2010

First

It seems like everyone is writing a blog these days, now I am throwing mine into the mix. I guess, I feel like I have something to contribute. At least something my friends and family members will care about.

Okay, first of all, I am an archaeologist. A real, working archaeologist. Most people have no idea what that means. I will start with what that does not mean. I do not own a whip or wear a fedora. I have never touched a dinosaur bone or been to Egypt. I do a lot of assessment, mapping, and, yes, some digging. My specialty is geophysical archaeology, this mostly means I make maps of "stuff" below the ground without digging. In the field of archaeology, we look at how people lived in the past. We work to preserve, protect and study history. It is an amazingly interesting and rewarding job.

To do this amazing job I travel, a lot. When I travel it is not usually to places most people think of as a destination. This means I end up in a lot of interesting places. In these places I have to eat. Did I mention I love food? I am usually not satisfied with simply stopping by national chains. In fact, I will go out of my way to try new and interesting local foods. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. I am planning on using this space to let the world know about my hits and misses.

As perhaps the ultimate act of hubris, here is my blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment