Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Labor Day


On Thursday afternoon Derek and I decided to head up north to visit Derek's aunt and uncle at their house on Rehoboth Beach in Delaware. They spent the weekend completely spoiling us.

The only "dark" cloud on the weekend was that I had to work on Friday. It is a nasty business this work thing, no one tells you that when you are done slaving away on college degrees you are expected to work 40 (!?!?) hours a week. This upsets me until I get a paycheck. Oh, that is why this is better than being a carefree student!

Anyway, I digress. We went up to the beach and, despite the dire hurricane warnings (Ha Earl!), the weather was great. Amazing actually. I had not been outside without feeling like I was sweating gallons of water since May. I do think the nice people on the weather channel were a bit disappointed in Earl's poor performance. I could see it in their faces.


We went to the beach and the salt marsh. We walked along the boardwalk. Apparently I was deprived as a child because I did not know that all of these fabulous junk foods existed on the board walk. We ate freshly cut french fries, frozen custard, and carmel corn. That was just a sampling of the offerings. I opted out of funnel cake and salt water taffy.

There were also games to play on the board walk. Wonderful, old-fashioned carnival games. It made me feel like I was living in the 1950's.

To work off all of these calories we went on bike rides. Then we came back and ate more.



After this exhausting daily routine went to bed and slept like the dead and woke up to do it again the next day.


Then we had to go home. Sad. But the cat was happy to see us and we were happy to see him.



1 comment:

  1. Oh beautiful beaches! I can't wait to get down there to visit.
    Great blog! Your voice really comes through and you have a lot of really interesting things to write about!

    ReplyDelete